“Let us be protectors of God’s creation, protectors of God’s plan inscribed in nature, protectors of one another and the environment.” – Pope Francis, Laudato Si
Congregation of Bon Secours Corporate Statement on Water
We, Sisters of Bon Secours and Bon Secours Associates throughout the world AFFIRM:
- Water is a sacred gift that connects all life.
- Access to clean water is a basic human right.
- The value of the earth’s freshwater to the common good takes priority over any possible commercial value.
- Freshwater is a shared legacy, a public trust and a collective responsibility.
WE SUPPORT actions and policies that:
- Ensure universal access to sufficient, affordable, safe water for all people, especially the most vulnerable.
- Protect freshwater as a sustainable, renewable resource.
- Implement the objectives of the UN Millennium Goals and Rio + 20 commitments on water.
We OPPOSE actions and policies that:
- Endanger the world’s supply of freshwater.
- Deprive humans and other species access to adequate, safe water essential for life.
- Favor the privatization of water as a commodity to be bought and sold for profit when in reality it is a heritage we all hold in common.